Taking symbal and flunil. When can I discontinue the medicine?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi. I have been on antidepressants for the last 5 years and i want to come off it now. I take Symbal 20 and Flunil. I want to wean. Can you suggest a time frame on which i can stop this and any alternative support?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Talk to your doctor before stopping medications! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about your battle with depression for the past 5years. If i may ask,, are there any reasons why you want to stop these medications or is it simply because you think you have been on the for too long? I always suggest that my clients talk to their prescribing doctors before stopping their medications. This is he safest way to do it. Your doctor would establish the reasons for this and make sure it is done correctly. Also, he would monitor to make sure no withdrawal symptoms set in or there is need to get you back on the medications if the symptoms recur. If the motivation for stopping are side effects, then alternatives may also be proposed. Please talk to him/her before you consider the plan below. Stopping these drug s must be a gradual process and more so because you have been on them for long. This will help reduce the chances of having withdrawal symptoms. Some of them include dizziness, headache, nausea, diarrhea, paresthesia, irritability, vomiting, insomnia, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, fatigue etc. If you should have any of these during this period please talk to your doctor. This is one of the reasons why talking to your doctor before stopping is very advisable. Start by reducing the dose to 10mg daily for a week. then progress to 10mg every 2days for the next 2weeks. Then finally stop with 5mg daily for two weeks. Monitoring is key here as any withdrawal symptoms would warrant dosage and or frequency adjustments. The cause of this depression should guide you as to what to do. Generally speaking, trying to stay busy with friends, getting involved in activities that you like, social groups, etc would be a great way to boost up your energy levels. Also always talk to loved ones when chanced. If you ever feel like hurting yourself, please call the doctor. Avoiding being lonely would be of great help to you also. I hope this answers your query fully and provides enough information for you to act on. I wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. Feel free to ask for more information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Dr Ditah Many thanks for your complete answer. I want to stop because i dont believe i need them anymore.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you so much, too! Detailed Answer: Hi, Am humbled to know I have been of help to you today. Your satisfaction is our singular goal. I wish you the very best of health. If you have no more follow up related query at this time, may I suggest that you kindly consider closing the discussion, rating the response and writing a short review to help us better serve you next time? Thanks for using our services and do not hesitate to direct future queries to me. Dr. Ditah, MD.