Taking rexipra for panic disorder. Need a better treatment?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: SIR I HAVE BEEN TAKING REXIPRA 10 MG DAILY SINCE MORE THEN 10 YEARS BUT NOT IN CONTINUEITY,RECANTLY HAV BEEN TAKING AS ALTERNET DAYS SINCE MORE THEN TWO YEARS BUT REALLY CAN'T STOPE FULLY,I HAVE TRIED QUIT MANY TIMES BUT HAS TO START AGAIN DUE TO PANIC DISORDER,,BUT NOW I REALLY WANT TO QUIT FULLY BCZ DURING TAKING REXIPRA I BEHAVE LIKE KIDS OR SO MUCH FUNNY IN GATHERING WHICH GIVES ME TOO BAD FEELING LATER ,PLEASE HELP ME
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Rexipra is the brand name for Escitalopram, which is an anti-depressant belonging to a class called SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). This class of medication is also used to treat various kinds of anxiety disorders, including panic disorder. Though they are considered as non-addictive, stopping them abruptly can cause withdrawal symptoms or rebound anxiety symptoms.

In your case, since you have been on this medication for nearly ten years, it is not advisable to stop abruptly. I would advise you to very gradually taper down the dose and then stop. For example, 7.5mg for 1 month, 5mg for the next month, then 2.5mg for the next month and then stop. Also, in order to tackle the problem of rebound anxiety and panic attacks, you need to learn and practise relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, applied relaxation, etc. There are also effective psychotherapy techniques like cognitive behavior therapy which can give you effective and long lasting results. Please consult a psychiatrist regarding these non-medication treatment options.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist