Taking requisite diet and iron tablets to increase hemoglobin levels. Cause of low hemoglobin level?
Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.
When the hemoglobin is low there are several different considerations that should be entertained. We want to make sure that there is no active blood loss going on. In addition we want to make sure that the bone marrow is functioning appropriately in creating new blood cells. Lastly we want to make sure that there is no possibility that somewhere in the body the red blood cells are being consumed such as in the spleen.
If your doctor has no other explanation for why your hemoglobin is low it is prudent for you to see a gastroenterologist for a comprehensive consultation. The gastroenterologist may consider doing a colonoscopy as well as a upper endoscopy to assess for any possible areas where there might be some leaking of blood.
If a good comprehensive gastroenterology consultation does not reveal any source of bleeding your doctor should consider other potential causes. There are some inherited disorders which causing mild degree of anemia. The best way to help examine this would be to obtain historical hemoglobin levels for you from many years ago. If they were normal years ago then this is much less likely.
Lastly it would be a good idea for your doctor to have a pathologist look at your blood under the microscope to see if there are any abnormalities which might help to narrow the diagnosis. Sometimes infections or autoimmune disorders or issues with kidney function can affect how the bone marrow generates blood cells. All of this should be considered until an actual cause of your mild anemia is determined.
Thanks again for sending your question. I hope you have found my conversation here to be helpful. If you have any additional specific concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low hemoglobin levels causes investigations
- Cause low hemoglobin level
- Low hemoglobin levels and acne
- Low hemoglobin levels caused by fibroids
- Low hemoglobin leveles caused by sickness
- Problems caused by low hemoglobin levels
- Low hemoglobin level at 78
- What causes low hemoglobin levels
- Low hemoglobin levels causes infertility
- Low hemoglobin level in osteosarcoma
- What does "biapical pleural thickening through the lung apices" in CT...
- Muscle mass, lack of facial hair, male breasts, testosterone, hormonal...
- Bells palsy, minor trauma, medication, platelet function, bleeding, bruises
- Eye weakness, viral infection, nerve weakness in eye, bells palsy
- No period for 9 months, high prolactin levels, microandenoma,...
- Is pregnancy possible with inconsistent pregnancy test results and heavy...
- Can Plan B cause spotting and blood clots in urine ?
- Salt in Chinese food, tachycardia, pulse rate 150, BP under control
- How can genetically obtained dry skin be treated ?
- Diabetes, high BP, renal failure, serum creatinine high, loss of...