Taking ramipril for alport's syndrome. Getting back pain. Should I be worried?

Dr. Avinash Ignatius

Nephrologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi,

I am a 28 year old male with Alports Syndrome. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago. I currently take Ramipril 4mg per day to help treat the disease and get monitored every 12 months by my renal specialist. My question is, I constantly have what i thought was lower back pain, but have since been informed that its flank pain related to my kidney issues. Is this something i should be worried about? Should I contact my renal specialist for a sooner check up? Is there anything I can do to ease the pain, as it is pretty bad at the moment.

Thanks for your time
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Although Alports syndrome is associated with flank pain, it is not a very common symptom.

It essential that alternative causes of flank pain be excluded before attributing it to Alports.

An ultrasound would be needed to rule out any abdominal causes, and probably an evaluation of your back to r/o any musculoskeletal problem.

Certain analgesics which are safe for kidneys can be prescribed by your Nephrologist after assessing you.