Taking protonix for GERD. Have burning sensation in arm and above breast. EKG normal. Remedy?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Im 22 and having intense burning on my left side above my breast, the burning is also in my left arm. Ive had ekg's before and been told I dont have heart problem but I tend to have chest pains a lot. I take protonix for Gerd but have never had pain and burning this bad,could it be heart trouble.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Heart Disease is almost unlikely.
You are too young to have Ischemic Heart Disease / too old for Congenital Heart Disease to start... All the same go for ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – to rule all these out and for reassurance / better than guessing and worrying all along...

Examine your breast and axilla - exclude lumps....

Get X-rays of the Chest, Neck and Thoracic spine - to exclude anomalies and nerve irritation

This could all be from Anxiety - Psychological assessment and assistance may help. You are young... Stop worrying and start enjoying life...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck