Taking propranolol for performance anxiety. What does should I take when stressed?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 4 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: i have a stressful college day tomorrow with a performance exam in the afternoon about 3pm. normally for performance anxiety 15 to 20 mg inderal/ propranolol helps with the performance about an hour and a half before, however the morning will be stressful too and i dont know how much i should take in the morning to last me until the performance but dont want to pass out in the middle ot it either
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Propranolol is a medication which can be quite effective in the temporary or symptomtic management of performance of performance anxiety.

In your situation, where you seem to be needing symptomatic relief through the morning and afternoon, it would be better space out the doses of propranolol, for example, taking a 10mg dose in the morning and your usual 15-20mg dose in the afternoon. This spacing of the doses will ensure that you have a sustained effect of the medication, without any adverse effects.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist