Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Taking proper sleep. Feeling drowsy. Underlying cause?

Dec 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 4794 Questions
now a days im feeling so much drowsy even during the office hours, i sleep for 8 hrs a day but still im undergoing through this phase

Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Feeling drowsy in office hours even with 8 hour sleep may occur due to following reasons-

- First thing that should be ruled out is nutrient deficiency. Low hemoglobin or anaemia is commonest cause of drowsiness and tiredness. Also deficiency of Vitamin B12, Folate can cause some symptoms. I would advise you to please get your Hemoglobin and Vitamin B12 levels checked from any lab. If Vitamin B12 levels come below 300 then start B-complex capsules.

- Other possibility is low thyroid hormone levels. Hypothyoridism is a common cause of drowsiness. Evaluation of thyroid hormones is must to rule out hypothyroidism.
If all investigations come normal then we can think of other possibilities.

One possibility is some sleep cycle disorder. Due to this poor quality of sleep occurs despite good quantity. Due to inadequate sleep in night day time sedation occurs. I would like to know whether you awake multiple times in night? If you snore? Because of snoring sleep apnea occurs which may manifest with day time drowsiness. In non specific insomnia any good hypnotic (clonazepam, zolpidem etc) drug in low doses for short period of time will help in proper night sleep.

Other possibility is milder form of depression. In mild depression even individual have adequate night sleep, still he may feel drowsy and tired in work. In most of people just prescribing hypnotics help to improve condition. In some persons treatment with antidepressants like SSRI is needed. For this I would advise you to please visit a Psychiatrist for expert evaluation.

Hope I solved your query, if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor