Taking proactiv. Getting acne problem. How to prevent this?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Acne
Question: I used to have clear skin with just an occassional break out. to help maintain this i bought proactiv. Instead of preventing acne, it cause it and I have been struggling for two years now with mild acne. Please help me. I am 23 and have combination skin. This morning i woke up with an outbusrt of whiteheads on my chin and jaw, moving up to my cheek. It has never been this bad before. I need help
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.
Acne is caused by hormonal disturbance.

Acne on jaw line suggest hormonal acne.
Also any kind of mental stress can aggravate acne.
You can apply benzoyl peroxide cream at night.Adapalene gel can help a lot in whiteheads.Also special cleanser like cetaphil oily skin cleanser can help reduce recurrence.

Also I would like to know-
What is your height and weight?Are you overweight?
Is your menstrual cycle normal?
Are you on steroid or other drugs apart from ventolin?

Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.

Hope this helps.
DrSudarshan
dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 18 minutes later
I currently use cetaphil and panoxyl. I also have Vichy normaderm products as they are alcohol and paraben free.

I am 5'5 and 69kg. I am indeed overweight.I use betnovate monthly on a tiny rash I get every now n then. I recently used Clotrimazole to help with thrush. I also take viridian cleat skin complex tablets.

I need another solution as I already use what you have suggested.

What is your opinion on Vichy Normaderm and Proactiv?
How do I get rid of my acne forever without the use if something like Roaccutane?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for the details .

Weight reduction by 5kg will be helpful for acne.
Doing a hormonal panel containing LH ,FSH,testerone will be needed to rule out PCOS and hormonal cause for acne.
If needed hormonal therapy would be needed.
A night time use of adaferin gel or tretinoin 0.05 percent will help clearing out comedonal acne.

You can use vichy normaderm and proactive they are helpful to a certain degree.retinoid like adaferin or retino a(0.05 %) will be more effective.Some clinic based procedures like chemical peeling with salicylic acid and glycolic acid will also be helpful.

Hope this helps.
Regards.