Taking pegasys shots and ribasphere. Blood level normal. Safe to drink alcohol?
I am glad you are undergoing therapy and you are trying to get rid of the doctor probably told you, the treatment is not near 100% curative, and if you are taking that treatment (pegasys and ribasphere) without the new pills available in the market (incivek and victrelis), then your chances of cure are about 40-50% depending on multiple factors (type of virus, genotype, IL-28b genetics, the amount of scarring on your liver, etc).
I would suggest you avoiding alcohol while on therapy. You can celebrate with a non-alcoholic beverage, and then wait a few more weeks or months to celebrate the end of treatment with an alcoholic beverage, and hopefully a big celebration that you achieved a cure.
I am also wondering why you are taking only 200mg of ribasphere twice a day, and not a higher dosage (the dose is usually 1000 - 1200mg in total a day). It may be because your doctor noticed you were anemic or have renal dysfunction, but the fact that you are on a lower dose already decreases your chances of success. Therefore avoid anything that could decrease your chances by any means, such as alcohol.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could be causing pain in bottom of stomach and nausea?
- Vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, weakness. Blood work shows low MCH and high...
- Abdominal pain and pain to the left of spine. Why is this happening?
- Eaten lobster that tasted like ammonia. Should I be concerned?
- White coat syndrome, taking BP medication. Dizziness, light headedness....
- AST level is 56 and alkaline phosphatase is 139. Is this too high?
- What diet should I take to lower SGPT level? Please refer some medication
- How long should I wait after a liver biopsy to have sex?
- Done sigmoid colon resection, diarrhea, cramping, watery stools, taken...
- Chest x-ray showed bilateral hilar congestion. Is it serious?