Taking nexium for inflamed stomach. Getting insomnia and sleeplessness. How to get relief?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I have all the classic symptoms of Parasites. I have an endoscopy scheduled in a few weeks, had actually begun to think i had H Pylori or something. Gallbladder was ruled out. The odd thing is that not only has my stomach gotten really bad after Christmas my mother's stomach is somewhat like mine too now....and my daughter who still continues to eat normally has started complaining. We have 2 kittens (one of which had a really bad tapeworm) and a Dog....so i think it's not inconceivable we could have gotten something from one of them.
I basically have to eat really lightly raw / vegan - no wine/chocolate in order to sleep at night and not eat/drink 4-6 hours before bed either. This is new to me...i was fine before Christmas. If i ate something bad i'd have a maalox stay up an hour and be good. Now i get insomnia and sleeplessness. Some of which is due to gas.
They can never really find parasites even if you do have them, so i've been thinking about holistic remedies - garlic and pumpkin seeds etc.Oh and since my stomach got inflamed and flared i've been on the nexium. It's been at least a week or more on nexium at this point and it hasn't resolved everything which if it were GERD i'm sure it would have.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 26 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

You have not mentioned what symptoms you have.
Kindly post the description of all your symptoms and about the tests that have been done.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
I've been to the ER a couple times because i just was so bad and couldn't sleep.
It all started when i ate a few things for dinner then was up all night. I couldn't sleep and couldn't figure out why, but when i woke up i'd start burping really badly and realize i had bad gas/bloating. I actually thought i had nausea and bought nausea medication but then i figured out it was the gas when i tried to lie down making me feel like something was in my throat. I was up 70 hours at a time, and they ended up giving me a GI cocktail one time/ IV Pepcid another time which seemed to soothe my stomach enough to go home and sleep. My stomach was almost spassing.
The ER gave me a blood test and and ultrasound - they said my gall bladder was great. They seemed to think it was just GERD. Although i can tell you i've never had GERD this bad ever. It then progressed from not only a few meals (dinner bothering me) but everything bothering me. So i cut out all the wheat/meat/hard to digest stuff and have been keeping it simple.....smoothies /bananas/no caffeine, no wine, no chocolate, salad, fruit, soup Once i did that i got a few nights or more like a week of solid good sleep.
Tonight i ate a salad (one i had the other day no problem), and it kept me up all night burping.
I have Diarreah (sometimes), Gas and Bloating, my Rosacea has been flaring, Nausea, Anal itching (have had that for a while), Unable to sleep (new!)
When i was really bad from eating real food i had my doctor prescribe me Carafate, and it helped, but i only took it the 4 days. I don't like the risks of it. I've also been taking aloe vera juice one once each morning / evening.j

i was diagnosed with GERD many, many years ago. I take Nexium for it intermittently.
I had a colonoscopy done when i was 40 years old (5 years ago), and they did the barium and all that at the time....but i wasn't really bad like now.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
Thanks for providing additional information.
Though parasites are likely, most of your symptoms are suggestive of GERD only.

To rule out parasites, a stool test may be done. Take probiotics and yogurt till you get the test done.

GERD responds well to nexium. But if the response in not adequate make sure you do the following -

1. Take nexium half an hour before food.
2. If once daily dose is not giving relief, make it twice daily - before breakfast and before dinner
3. Avoid coffee, citrus, chocolates, fatty food, spicy food, tomatoes, onion.
4. Avoid eating heavy meals and bedtime snacks
5. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.
6. Avoid tight fitting clothes
7. Keep your head elevated while sleeping

If still no response, change your medication.Take protonix after consulting your doctor.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 minutes later
I'm on 40 mg of Nexium can i take two of these a day?

Also - Can stress affect GERD?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 minutes later
You can take it 20 mg twice a day. or alternatively Nexium 40 mg once in the morning and zantac 150 at bedtime.
Yes stress worsens GERD.
If you are having some sort of stress, adopt stress relieving methods.
I always advice my patients to do meditation for stress relief.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini