Taking naproxen sodium for back problems and noticed blood in bowel movement. Concerned

Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Question: I have been experincing back problems lately and was prescribed Naproxen Sodium 500mg. I'm working the midnight shift this week and took one pill before going to bed and sleeping 10am-4pm. When I woke up, I had a regular bowel movement, but had fresh blood present on the toilet paper after wiping. I feel fatigued as well but thats kind of common while being on the midnight 12am-8am shift.

How concerned should I be?
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 2 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

As you say that you work in mid night shift you are having higher probability of hyperacidity moreover the intake of the Naproxen sodium (that is a NSAID) that increases risk of gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration.

These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. This is the most likely cause of the fresh bleeding noted on toilet paper. However as this can be at times alarming, please consult a Physician or you may combine with antacids (after consultation).

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E