Taking morphine 60mgER pills. Is it okay to take half of it to reduce dosage?

Dr. J Kingson John David

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: My wife is taking Morphine sulf 60 XXXXXXX ER Pills is it OK to cut the pills in half to attain 30 XXXXXXX strenght
Answered by Dr. J Kingson John David 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.. It becomes ineffective .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend,
Thanks for your query to Health Care Magic ..

Morphine 60mgER is manufactured and designed in such a way that it should be taken as whole to get maximum effect of extended release in body circulation.
If Morphine is cut into two pieces then Extented release will not function properly and it also doesnot provide expected mg of morphine to reduce back pain .

Continue taking 60mg of morphine until you get 30mg of Morphine from drug store.
Consult your physician before reduction of dosage of drug.

Dr.J.Kingson John David
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E