Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Taking miralax for constipation. Getting headache, tightness in chest and have asthma. Prognosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
HI, i have been experience some issues that i think are gastrointestinal in nature. I am very constipated despite eating normally and i have been taking miralax for 3 days with little success. I have also been having some 'aches and pains' in my bowel/intestinal area. primarily on the left side. These are not severe in nature and come and go. I have had some tightness in my left chest but i have asthma and can't tell if it is related or not. I also have a dull headache under/behind my left ear.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Left side abdominal pain especially in the lower abdomen can be caused by large intestine diverticlitis. This condition is strongly associated with constipations. Such pain can come and go depending of the stool presence in the area where the diverticles are.
Left abdominal pain can also appear due to urinary tract inflammation (frequent urinating and burning while urinating appears), ovarian cyst, ovarian inflammation.
It is advisable to have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work (if WBC and CRP will be elevated, inflammation is present), urine analysis. Fecal occult blood test is also advisable.
Tightness in chest especially on the left side should be always checked with heart condition. Such heart ischeamic pains usually radiate to the left arm, left jaw or even left ear. It is advisable in such case to have heart ECG performed, stress test, 24 hours Holters ECG and heart ultrasound.
As you do have asthma, there is a great possibility that you have also acid reflux disease as this two diseases very often appear together. GERD gives chest burning after a meal, especially fatty food, chocolate, fruit juices, alcohol. Upper GI endoscopy should be performed if such symptoms are present.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor