Owl Image

Taking mezavant mesalamine for ulcerative colitis. Will it be safe to take viagra or cialis?

Owl Image
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Question
Hi, I am being treated for ulcerative colitis and have been prescribed mezavant mesalamine for the past few years. I am also considering starting the use of viagra or cialis. I was wondering if there are any dangers of drug interactions between the two.
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Mezavant contains Mesalazine which is mainly metabolized in the intestines wall. Viagra or Cialis is metabolized in the liver. That is why both medicines does not affect each other and can be used together. Using Viagra or Cialis you need to be sure that your heart condition is good (no chest pains, no shortness of breath). And as every medicine it can cause skin allergies or nausea (which is generally rare).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.