Taking meprate. Have cyst in uterus and acne problem. Should I stop taking meprate?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: i am 35 & have taking meprate for the last 6 months to regulate my periods. My periods are regular now; however i have small cysts in my uterus & have a lot of acnes each month. My weight is 57 & height is 5'4. Is it ok to stop taking meprates now? will it reduce my acne?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Hormonal imbalance,irregular periods and Acne all are related to each other.
Meprate is a progesterone containing pill given for regulation of the cycle.
It is also given for dysfunctional uterine bleeding ,endometriosis.
As you have small cysts in uterus it is better to continue meprate for few months more.It will help in acne also.

However if only problem is Acne then meprate is not recommended another hormonal drugs like XXXXXXX would be required.
The final decision for stopping or continuing the meprate would depend on doctor or your gyanecologist who started the drug.

For severe acne treatment would be a drug called Isotretinoin.It is good drug in all stages of acne .Discuss the option of Isotretinoin with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for further follow up.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Thanks for thr response doctor. My periods are now regular, but acne continues.
I am trying to conceive now; hence my doctor has asked me to start taking Duphastron from day 16 onwards for 10 days.
Will this increase my acne in any case?

My skin speacialist has put me on Azifast for my acne. The acne has reduced slightly, but hasn't stopped completely. I get 3-4 pimples each month & they leave heavy scars.
I will discuss the option of Isotretinoin with him . But is this safe while trying to conceive?
I read about its side effects which is a little scary. I want to somehow get rid of my pimples. plz help
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Isotretinoin is strictly contraindicated if you are trying to conceive.It is highly teratogenic and cause fetal malformation if you become pregnant while on it.
So better avoid it.
Azifast is azithromycin which is safe in pregnancy.You should take it on 3 days per week .One tablet in morning on SUNDAy-MONDAY-TUESDAY.This should be continued for atleast 4 -6 cycles.

Also you can use Brevoxyl face wash which has very good results.Use it 2-3 times daily.
Also you can apply Clindoxyl cream twice daily.
As you are on duphaston acne can increase a bit.Right now your priority should be conceiving rather than treating acne.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology