Taking medicine for vitamin b12 deficiency, anaemia. Urine test showed high level of protein. Worrisome

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 7 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi there,
Im a 29 yr old with high cholesterol (around the 7 mark). I am fit, but after a blood test, (for mystery symptoms including constant nausea, stomach cramps, fatigue, bloating, constipation/diarhorrea) it was found i was vitamin b12 difficient, and anemic. Which i am now taking iron and having weekly b12 injection. Just recently i had what i though was UTI. My urine was tested, and the results came back with a high level of protien present. I have been on anti-biotics for 5 days and the doctor order another urnie sample, which i am awaiting the resuls. should i be worried, as i know protien in urine can be a sign of kidney disease?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 27 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
If the next sample shows excess protein (mild trace or one + is acceptable and could be due to UTI) in urine, the next step would be to QUANTIFY the extent of proteinuria.
This is done by either collecting 24 hour urine and checking for protein levels or by doing what is called MICRO-ALBUMIN level in urine.
If the levels are more than the normal limits, a nephrologist consultation becomes necessary.
Best regards