Taking medicine for vitamin D deficiency. Knee pain and feeling weakness. What's wrong?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I live in Mumbai, India. I was suffering from severe lower back and shoulder pain for past 3 years. About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency i.e. 8. Since then I have been taking supplement (both oral and injections). My pain has reduced to a large extent after taking supplements. But I still feel weak in my legs if I have to stand at a place for a duration(5-10 minutes), also sometimes the pain becomes severe and my back starts to hurt once again. Then I take complete bed rest for a day and would feel better afterwards. Apart from this I have been suffering form knee pain since last month. The pain is not there if I dont exert my knee and will come only when I do fast walk or climb stairs. I feel that overall my muscle have become weak(it could be lack of physical activity or could be vitamin deficiency) .Sometimes the knee pain becomes very severe. My current prescription mostly includes vitamin and mineral supplements.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for sharing your problem with me.

Vitamin D deficiency could result in pain and feeling of muscle weakness.

Back pain is also possible with Vit D deficiency.

But if you are experiencing severe back pain; as you mentioned in 5-10min of standing; it would be good to do an MRI Scan of your spine to rule out any other underlying issues.

If your MRI turns out to be normal, then you must undergo core muscle strengthening exercise program with the help of a physiotherapist to improve the condition of your back muscles.

Please revert to me if you have further doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E