Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Taking medicine for uncontrolled diabetes. Looking alternative for istamet

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
I have uncontrolled diabities since last 5 years, Now the doctor has priscribed 12 uint of Insulin in night , 1 istamet 50/1000 and 1 gluconorm G2 in morning before breakfast and 1 istamet 50/1000 , 1 gluconorm g2 and 1 ecosprin AV 75 before food in eveining , I am trying to find the alternate for istamet 50/1000 which does not have any additional side effect, as it is very costly and I found on net some similar composition in less price, Can you please suggest some options
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in. Istamet is a combination of sitagliptin and metformin. Unfortunately the sitagliptin is expensive and there is no cheaper substitute without compromising quality. Another thing is you are taking 3 gm of metformin but the recommended XXXXXXX dose is 2.5 gm. If you dont want to take istamet you can take plain metformin 1g twice daily but will have to take premix insulin twice daily.
So my recommendation is:
1gm metformin sustained release twice daily
Glimeperide 2mg twice daily
Twice daily premix insulin dose will have to be titrated to maintain FBS< 130, PPBS < 180mg%
Hope this helps,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor