Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking medicine for prostatitis. Noticed bumps on penis shaft and foreskin. Concerned

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Hi there - I am a healthy 28 year old male. I have never had vaginal sexual intercourse, only occasional oral with healthy female. I am currently dealing with a 2nd round of prostatitis and am taking Bactrim and Flomax.

Unrelated to that, the reason I am writing is for a few small bumps I have noticed on my penis shaft and foreskin lately. See attached photo.

Circled in red are some tiny pinhead bumps that have been there for months. They cause me no pain or discomfort and I don't know they're there unless I see or touch them. They can barely be felt. They're constantly there and have never gone away or changed at all. I've been told before they could be fordyce spots but they don't closely resemble fordyce spots to me. I have attached a 2nd photo specifically of these (the photo with nothing circled titled penis bumps.jpg) for reference.

Circled in blue are some newer bumps that have come up. They, like the others, cause me no pain or discomfort and don't really change or go away. I feel they've gotten a little bigger but they're only slightly bigger than a pinhead. They're white and soft. Because they're on my foreskin, I'm a little more concerned.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated and helpful to ease a worried mind.

Blessings and peace -

Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.
I can understand your anxiety regarding this.
I have seen the photographs.
 Not all bumps or lumps in the penile shaft are caused by infections or caused by sexually transmitted diseases.  Since there is no associated discharge, no pain or burning during urination, there is nothing to worry.
In all likelihood these bumps look like FORDYCE's spots

Fordyce’s spots are tiny pin head white  spots on shaft of penis. 
They are non contagious,harmless and type of ectopic sebaceous glands without hair follicles.
They may appear in both genders, but they are more common in males.
 they generally appear during puberty when the activity of sebaceous glands is at peak.
These spots remain for lifetime after its appearance.
With growing age the spots may disappear or become less noticeable.
Just relax and forget it.

I hope to have answered your query however I would be happy to address any additional concern.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Taking medicine for prostatitis. Noticed bumps on penis shaft and foreskin. Concerned 23 hours later
Hi doctor. Thank you for your excellent advice as always. I must follow up as I have noticed a few more pinhead sized white bumps since yesterday. I have two more which have a little redness around them. They do not hurt or affect me in any way but seeing them appear is alarming. I have no additional symptoms. No fever. No discharge. The redness is alarming to see as well. I am currently on Bactrim which I have had yeast problems with on before so I'm not sure if this could be yeast-related? I am worried this could look like an STD or worse. But again the other spots have been there for months. Photos attached. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
I have seen the photographs sent by you.
There are two things I would like to mention.
1...these bumps don't appear to be caused by STD.However if this issue bothers 
You a lot and is a constant nagging feeling at your subconscious level,then the 
Best would be to get tested for STD.
2... To me these bumps appear to be  rash due to  friction rub with clothes or may be due to excessive sweating causing sweat dermatitis.But whatever may be the cause,it is not going to trouble you.If there is no itching then nothing is to be done,but if they itch then you may apply either calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream locally.

I am open for any further discussion on this matter.
Best of luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor