Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Taking medicine for peroneal nerve damage in feet. Should I go for surgery for pain and numbness?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 77 Questions
I was electrocuted last April and the electricity exited both of my feet and I now have peroneal nerve damage in bothof my feet. THe doctors have me on 4 medications for it which are not working, Is there a surgical procedure that can help the pain and numbness
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 47 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I would like you to try medical treatment for relieving neuralgic pain like Gabapentin / Pregabalin. There is very little one can do for numbness once the nerve is totally damaged.

You can also try nerve growth stimulants like neurobion etc., but post electric injury of nerve their chances of showing responses are bleak.

Nerve repair surgery is technically demanding procedure however shall be tried if you have any motor deficit. Just, to relieve numbness, personally I don't think surgery would help much.


Dr Rajat Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Taking medicine for peroneal nerve damage in feet. Should I go for surgery for pain and numbness? 21 hours later
THanks for responding, I have been on Gabapentin and now on Cymbalta and Nortriptyine but still have the pain and numbness, also there are many times when I am walking and the foot goes dead and I have fallen several times. My Neurologist are at wits end about what to do and I am tired of taking medications
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 24 hours later
Thanks for the revert.

Continuing to take Gabapentin will help you. Cymbalta, to an extent. Physiotherapy might help as well.

Speak to your treating doctor about these.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor