Taking medicine for mild ear infection. Feeling discomfort at throat. How to get relief?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 2 days before son was diagnosed to have mild ear infection and medication started from Thursday. Antibiotic- Ziprax 100,Timnic;an ear drop on SOS basis.
Same day my daughter had viral fever and since yesterday son is coughing and shows dis-comfort around throat as if some thing is sticking.We feel its mucus.He had mucus discharge from nose intermittently.
I hope the anitbiotic & timinic would suffice for his current condition.He hasn't developed fever yet.
Problem we are facing now is when he shows discomfort while he is laid on the crib/bed.He cries and coughs a lot.He is comfortable only when he is facing down( lying on lap). We gave him warm water assuming it will ease the mucus down from the throat,though it works at times.
We would like to know how to ease his discomfort at throat due to mucus accumulation ,steaming etc?.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX

As the baby is very small ,you can not give him many medicines.
The Antibiotic and tminic are enough for the cold.
if the baby develops fever ,then you can use paracetamol syrup of any brand like P125 - the dose will be 10 mgs per kg body weight per dose.

For the mucus,
You can do some steam inhalation by keeping some humid air
Around the crib but not directly !
The humidity helps in dissolving the mucus and liquefying it.

Also use some normal saline nose drops if the nose is blocked.
Keeping the nostrils patent is very important in these small babies.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Um a.