Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Taking medicine for kidney stones. Found stone in spleen. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 328 Questions
i have had kidney stones on both kidneys for 12 years, but now the ct scan shows a small stone in my spleen. Is there any reason to be concerned with spleen? currently take Urocit K and Uloric for kidney stones. Most kidney stones, although at times very painful pass on their own. An average of 3 a year have to be removed from ureter yearly. Will I likely have to have the stone removed from my spleen?
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 37 minutes later
hi there,

kidney stones and spleen stones are two different things. calcific density in the spleen is called calcification. it is not a stone and it is not something which needs to be removed.

As we grow old calcium deposits can be seen in various tissues including blood vessels.

Do you have a problem of kidney stones? It is worth checking for secondary hypercalcemia. You should get your serum calcium, phosphorus, Parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels. Check your serum creatinine and uric acid levels and Complete blood counts. These will help you identify any condition leading to increased chances of calcification.

Splenic calcification are generally benign and you need not worry.

Hope this helps, Any query please write in.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor