Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

126 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Taking medicine for hyperthyroidism. What diet should be taken?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
My mom is having HYPERTHYRODISM with TSH levels above150

the same is under treatment where medicines are being given but need your suggestions about food intake for speedy recovery
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
TSH above 150 indicates hypothyroidism not hyperthyroidism. Hypothyroidism means body is not making enough thyroid hormone. The treatment is to take thyroid hormones that are synthetically produced. Treatment will be lifelong & tablet has to be taken early morning empty stomach. After that nothing should be taken next 1 hour. The goal of treatment is to bring TSH to normal range[0.5 to 4.5] & maintain it there. Testing will have to be done every 3 to 6 months & dose titrated to maintain noal TSH. If treatment is taken properly your mom wont have any othrr problems due to thyroid. Treatment is simple & straightforward. However ther is no permanent cure.
Hope this hrlps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist