Owl Image

Taking medicine for hyperthyroidism. What diet should be taken?

Question
My mom is having HYPERTHYRODISM with TSH levels above150

the same is under treatment where medicines are being given but need your suggestions about food intake for speedy recovery

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
TSH above 150 indicates hypothyroidism not hyperthyroidism. Hypothyroidism means body is not making enough thyroid hormone. The treatment is to take thyroid hormones that are synthetically produced. Treatment will be lifelong & tablet has to be taken early morning empty stomach. After that nothing should be taken next 1 hour. The goal of treatment is to bring TSH to normal range[0.5 to 4.5] & maintain it there. Testing will have to be done every 3 to 6 months & dose titrated to maintain noal TSH. If treatment is taken properly your mom wont have any othrr problems due to thyroid. Treatment is simple & straightforward. However ther is no permanent cure.
Hope this hrlps.
Shivaprasad