Taking medicine for bacterial prostatitis. Should I discontinue niftran after testing negative for infection?

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I had bacterial prostatitis, it was treated by my urologist using Cifran and Levofloxacin as per semen culture reports, I was prescribed to take 2 weks Cifra then 4 weeks Niftran 100, again Levo and 4 weeks Niftran, now my semen cultiure is negative after a treatment for 12 weeks, but Niftran is continued for 12 weeks and after negative culture, should I use Niftran for such a long time of 4 months ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Based on the facts that you have posted you had Bacterial Prostatitis and you were under guidance and observation of a qualified Urologist. He had prescribed antibiotics as per culture report along with Niftran. Your recent culture report is negative for infection and he has asked to continue Niftran for two more months.

Normally, Bacterial Prostatitis takes long time to get cured, and there are every chances of repeated episodes of infection even after negative culture report. Niftran is a urinary antiseptic and generally prescribed to prevent the recurrence of infection. There should be no problem in continuing the medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist