Taking medicine for BP and diabetes. Can it cause erectile dysfunction? Proper diet?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: I AM A MALE. AGED 51 YRS . WEIGHT 104 KG.
DIABETIC SINCE 1994. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SINCE 2007 - DIABETES 130/200 BLOOD PRESSURE 140/85
SERUM CREATININE 1.39
NO ALCOHOL NO SMOKING NO TOBACCO.
MEDICINE GLAVUS MET 50/850 6 TABS A DAY. TELMA 80 H 1 TABLET A DAY
QUESTION IS I HAVE IS I HAVE ERECTIYLE DYSFUNCTION SINCE 2010. SINCE I HAVE STARTED GLAVUS MET I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT. IN 2010 I WAS 93 KGS AND NOW 104 DESPITE CHANGE IN DIET AND WALKING. KINDLY ADVISE ME HOW SHOULD I REDUCE MY DIABETES AND WEIGHT, ALSO PLEASE ADVICE IF MY ED SHALL GET CURED, IF SO HOW
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 27 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

Let me first tell you that tab Galvus does not really increase your weight. At micro level your decreased energy metabolism is responsible for the weight gain. Hence when your weight is 104 kg, please make sure to cut down your each meal by 30% right away. This will not only reduce sugars but also your weight. Please make sure other than home made low fat meal you do not touch any other outside food for next 6 months and plus keep watch on quantity of food that only 70% of the regular quantity is consumed. Learn to ignore empty stomach feeling and you will get used to it.
When a person with diabetes and hypertension has ED, it is must for the person to get ECG, ECHO and TMT tests done right away. These are heart related tests and ED is a reflection of having 'macro'vascular complications of diabetes like heart disease, stroke etc in up to 75 percent of the cases.
Even the treatment for ED needs clearance from Cardiologist to avoid heart complications of the medications. So a person with DM and HTN must show to a cardiologist first.
Your dose of tab Galvusmet (6 tabs a day) is totally wrong and in too much. Please make sure you discuss this with your diabetologist or change your diabetologist as this dose is far far too much than the maximum recommended dose for humans.
In short, you need to review your diabetes medications. You need to get cardiac evaluation done in view of history of ED and thirdly you need to start cardioprotective medications right away (small dose aspirin or clopidogrel and statin). Please discuss this with your doctor.
Get back with further query. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 11 minutes later
Thanks for a detailed reply.

Would appreciate if you could help me with an appointment of yours. i stay at Andheri ( west ) link road.

I would also request if you could also help me a good cardiologist.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 18 minutes later
I am so sorry, Mr XXXXXXX I work in Bangalore and not in Mumbai. You will have to find both a good Diabetologist as well as a Cardiologist from Mumbai. Let me have a word with my medico friends from Mumbai and shall get back to you.

I am sorry Mr XXXXXXX for the delay. I got names of good Endocrinologist working in Mumbai like- Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Dr XXXXXXX Chaddha and Diabetologist Dr XXXXXXX Dalal. But my friends were not sure of the names of institutes where these doctors work. Also these doctors will help you find good Cardiologist in your area.
Any Endocrinologist or Diabetologist working in teaching institute (big hospital attached with medical college) should be a good choice in my opinion. So people with KEM hospital, XXXXXXX Hospital or any such hospital in your area should be good.
I hope you get to see a good doctor soon. All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 17 hours later
Thanks for the information Doctor.

Doctor I am impressed by your uprightness and knowledge.

Is it possible I can consult you in Bangalore, if so when.

If consulting you is possible then If you could help me with a good cardiologist.

Matter is of trust.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Please call 080-0000/ 6555 for appointment.
But If you are ready to travel this much then why do'nt you see a doctor in Bombay hospital where both Diabetologist and Cardiologist are available and the service I heard from my friends is one of the best in the country.
Honestly I feel it'll be too much to come to Bangalore for consultation on these chronic problems as you will have to go through many tests and follow ups. Bombay hospital will give you one point service for all the problems for sure.
Decision is yours. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 24 hours later
i CALL UP ON THE NUMBER SUGGESTED. I AM INFORMED THAT YOU SHALL BE AVAILALBE AFTER 27TH XXXXXXX ANYWAYS I HAVE REQUESTED FOR THE APPOINTMENT FOR THE 28TH. WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW
(A) CAN AN EARLIER BE POSSIBEL
(B) WHAT TEST I HAVE TO CONDUCT SO THAT I CAN CARRY THE REPORTS.
(C) YOUR RECOMMENDED CARIDOLOGIST EVEN IF IT IS BANGALORE OR ELSEWHERE

REGARDS
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 3 hours later
No, Mr XXXXXXX I am not available till that. the tests to be done are HbA1c, urine microalbumin, serum sodium, serum potassium, liver function test, Lipid profile, ECG, ECHO, TMT. Other tests you have done.
The cardiologist is Dr Sugandhi XXXXXXX and her number is 91-0000. In fact, I shall recommend you see her before you visit me because I'll have clearer idea about my job to be done once I have Cardiologist's opinion ready to see.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 10 minutes later
Doctor XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

I will ensure to XXXXXXX Dr. SUgandhi XXXXXXX before I met u. I hope I can give your reference.

I shall reconfirm after speaking to the Cardio Dr. Sugandhi.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 46 minutes later
Fine.