Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Taking medication for ulcer colitis. Choking feeling in throat while eating. What am I suffering from?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I am a patient of KLGH (age 49) where I have ulcer colitis in my lower colon and under medication for the last 12 years, result looks good after my last scope two months ago, doctor has reduced my medicine intake from 2 x 3 a day to 1 x 2 a day. Recently about one two weeks I am having this choking sensation where twice I took food and it refused to enter but remain in between my throat, so I took some warm water and later vomit it out, my question is why am I having this situation, am I having gastric or any other problems, pld advise. Thank you.

Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later

I want to congratulate you on how you are dealing with this
difficult disease. But, you are telling me that your colitis was
confined to the lower colon. I want to make sure that the final
diagnosis was ulcerative colitis and not Crohn's colitis.
Ulcerative colitis only affects the colon, whether all of it or
only the left side. But Crohn's disease can not only affect
the colon, but can affect any part of the small or large intestine.
It can also affect other organs with side effects.
I want to have you ask the doctor about the diagnosis by biopsy
and now also with blood tests that can tell whether there is a
possibility of Crohn's.
Typically Crohn's will affect the lower part of the small bowel
called the terminal ileum and beginning of the colon called the
cecum (Ileocecal area).
It is possible that you could have an unrelated problem.
If you have GERD symptoms (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
then you may have inflammation of the lower esophagus and even
some scarring with narrowing that makes the solid food passage
You do need to get an upper GI- series X-rays to see if there is
any problem. If there is suspicion then you need endoscopy to
look in and see what is the reason.
I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor