Taking medication for anxiety. Waiting for bone marrow result. Is it better to start with treatment of Stage 3 follicular lymphoma?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Question: Is it better to start tx of Stage lll follicular lymphoma b-cell grade ll. the patient is young ie 45yrs and is experiencing very few symptoms ie no night sweats, wt loss or fatigue. The organs and not affected and we are awaiting the bone marrow results.The patient has a history well before the diagnosis: of anxiety and is on ongoing medications for the past few years for anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doctor's opinion, radiotherapy, chemotherapy,

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

In case other structures or organs have not been touched, it would be important to start an urgent and fast radiation therapy. Radiotherapy is usually ok alone to treat most localized stage II tumors. But in his case, considering the fact that no other organs have been touched, and he is in a relatively good shape, it is reasonable to start with radiation therapy and watch carefully for any other side effects or evolution of disease, to modify treatment appropriately.

The opinion of a oncologist is however still needed. Depending on his clinical appreciation, adding chemotherapy (drugs) to radiotherapy shall then be decided upon. Early and appropriate treatment is key in determining the consequent outcomes.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish him good health. In case you have any other specific concerns, please feel free asking follow up questions. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D