Taking loestrin. Had genital contact with partner. Pregnancy test came negative. Any chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have been taking Loestrin 24 Fe for 2 over 2 years. I took the 2nd pill of this week's pack 12 hours late, and on the same day, had genital contact with my boyfriend. He did not penetrate or ejaculate. I have been feeling very gassy and bloated for the last 2 weeks. I also recently stopped taking the antidepressant Effexor. I took a pregnancy test 14 days after the contact and 16 days after the contact, and both were negative. Can I trust these test results? I am not due for my next withdrawal bleed for almost 2 weeks. Should I be concerned about being pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy unlikely soon after period.

Detailed Answer:

If you are a Day 1 starter, delay in taking the pill does no harm so early as you may have taken the next pill on time. Moreover, it appears as though you had the incident soon after your period. As such, there is no chance of conception and you can relax. The urine pregnancy tests are of no use at this stage as they cannot predict a pregnancy within two weeks. For this, you need to have the serum beta-hCG estimation which is very sensitive and specific.

Since you are expecting your next period after two weeks, you should wait until you see your period. Blood test for pregnancy can at the most be done during the last week of the cycle and not earlier.

So, I would say that you need not worry about getting pregnant at all. Though penetration or ejaculation is not necessary in unprotected intercourse around the ovulation period to cause conception, since you had a protected act and that too during the safe period, there is absolutely no worry.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later
I thought that ovulation did not occur while on the pill. Would I have then ovulated? How certain can I be that I am not pregnant? What could explain the gas and bloating?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will not ovulate while on the pill.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your feedback.

I think you did not quite catch my point. Ovulation will not happen while you are on this pill. This is what I meant when I mentioned protection. Failure can occur if you miss two pills in a row during week 2 or 3, because then there is a chance of ovulation to occur. That did not happen. So, you need not worry about pregnancy at all. If you want to get evidence, you should wait until you get into the last week of your cycle, i.e., around day 21-23 and then get the blood test for pregnancy.

Gaseous distension and bloating are hormonal effects and can happen while on the pills. Anxiety also plays its part in gaseous distension and so is the type of food eaten and the timings. Please take soft easily digestible diet with plenty of liquids in between meals. Take adequate rest and sleep well.

Hope your doubts are clarified. Please get back if you need more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 32 hours later
Do I need evidence? Or can I rest assured that pregnancy is not a possibility? Thanks so much for your time!
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is not a possibility.

Detailed Answer:

Pregnancy is an unlikely possibility in your case and as such you may rest assured. It appears as though you had sexual contact during the first week of your cycle. This does not leave any chance for any risk. As such, you can safely expect your normal withdrawal to happen. You may not need any test.

Hope all your queries are answered. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be available to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.