Taking levothyroxine 75mg. Will it be safe to take zyrtec for decongestant?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take levothyroxine 75mg, can I take Zyrtec for decongestion. I have a bad cold and need something.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You can certainly take Zyrtec for your upper cold) along with your thyroid medication. You can also take steam inhalation for immediate relief.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Dr. Khandelwal, Thanks for the response. Is there something you would recommend in place of Zyrtec? I have congestion in my head but not in my chest. I have no other cold symptoms. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for reverting back.

Instead of Zyrtec you can have any other tablet containing pseudoephedrine three times a day. However pseudoephedrine is going to make you a bit drowsy and light headed.

I hope I have responded to your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK