Taking hydrocodone after back surgery. Prescribed suboxone as substitute. Is this safe?

Dr. Payman Hajiazim

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking hydrocodone was approximately 8 years, after back surgery.
I seeked help and the Doctor gave me suboxone as a substitite (patch)
This is sound that I have been given a drug of cholice, and if so, what side effects to expect.
Right now I am agonogy after taking my second strip.
Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 19 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It is a very good medication. However, it is good to know about several points:
You should not take alcohol or other medications like many sleep pills that affects respiration. It can cause respiratory problem especially at night.
You should know that it may cause drop in blood pressure in the first few weeks especially, and it may be more severe at night. So whenever you want to stand up, you should sit for some minutes.
You should be check for liver function periodically.
It may cause constipation that you may take more vegetables, etc.
You should not take any hydrocodone or similar medications with it.
I wish you a good health and best of luck!