Taking femilon from the first day of period. Will it be safe to have unprotected sex?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor, I have started taking femilon from the first day of my periods. Can we continue to participate in sex from the 4th day onwards i.e., after bleeding stops without using any condoms or any other prevention method. Or do I need to wait for few more days? if yes, how long? Please answer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Since you have started taking femilon from day 1 in this cycle, it is best to use a condom till day 7 i.e., till 3 days after you finish with your periods.
After that you can have an unprotected intercourse without worrying for the pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later
Thanks much for your answer doctor. I have one more query.
After completing 21 tablets, i am asked to stop taking tablets from 22nd day for next 7 days. Generally, I bleed only for 3 days, so my periods lasts for 3 days only.
If my periods start on 22nd day can we have still have unprotected sex from 25th day to 28th day? Or, if my periods start from 26th day, can we have still have unprotected sex from 22nd day to 25th day. I mean, My question is, can we have unprotected sex in those 7 days gap of tablets or do we need to use condoms? Please confirm.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can have unprotected sex during the 7-day pill free period too. Usually the bleeding starts after 2 days of stopping the pill. But you need to start with your next pack after a 7-day pill free interval.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.