Taking effexor. Feeling weak and unsteady. No relief by bp medicine. What is causing this?

Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I commenced Effexor on13/11/12. On 4/12/12 I sudenly became unsteady and my legs gave way under me. Going to Drs it was thought it was Blood pressure. I was taken off B.P. tabs but have not improved. My Effexor caps was reduced from 75mg to 37.5mg a day I improved a little but feel I am getting weaker. I am getting frustrated because there seems to be no explaination.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Efflexor is venlafaxine, a SNRI group of drug used for treatment of depression. The only notable/significant side-effects are increase in blood pressure and heart rate. I suggest you check your blood pressure for at least three days continuously when on efflexor 37.5 mg. This would help to decide on need for antihypertensive and the right dosage. Also kindly message me the details of why efflexor was started in first place. The other possibilities to rule out as cause of weakness include cardiac, liver disease and anemia. Please do get back to me with the requested details, so that I can guide you better.

Dr Sundar G
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan