Taking ciprocom for prostatitis. Having pain in penis, semen in urine and ED. What to do?

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I was on 500 ciprocom for 4 weeks for prostatitis and still same problem have pain in penis also have semen in my urine and i have E     D this been going on for years
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
I wish you had provided some more details regarding your clinical symptoms.
Prostatitis is a fairly common condition, and infections of prostate take a much longer time to clear than, say, infection of the bladder, and sometimes treatment with antibiotics needs to be given for 2 to 3 months. Unfortunately, even then the infection does not clear completely in some patients, and patients do complain of a discomfort in the area below scrotum, pain while voiding, and urine stream feels more obstructed than usual.
If you had any of these symptoms, your doctor might even have started you on a drug belonging to a group known as alpha-blockers, and while they might help you pass urine better, they do have the side-effect of causing your semen to go back in a retrograde fashion into the bladder, and thus you will find that semen comes out next time you void urine. This is usually an innocuous feature except in patients who are planning to father children, as this does not affect the quality of orgasm or intercourse.
Your ED might or might not be related to your prostate issue, and I think you will benefit from using what we call PDE5 Inhibitors. However, this is a prescription drug, meaning you will need to be examined by a urologist who will evaluate if you are fit to take this tablet. Patients on nitrates for heart conditions or who have issues with their vision due to retinal problems should not use Viagra or a similar drug.