Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking cipro and pyridium for UTI. Recent test showed low hemoglobin level. Should I be worried?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
Hi, being treated for a UTI, had blood in my urine. Put on Cipro and Pyridium. Told to follow up in a couple days if still having pain to get a cat scan. Went to ER today they said my UTI was clearing up but that my hemoglobin was 8.4 and to follow up with family doc. My doc isn't in until Monday should i be worried? They said I need to find out where I'm losing blood from. They only admit and transfuse people when they are under 8. (Hgb). I'm a nurse so know some of the medical terms.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

The decreased Hemoglobin level can be attributed to the loss of blood in your urine.
The source can be anywhere from Kidney upto urethra.
Investigation like Ultrasound scan of the renal tract can be used to detect the source of bleeding.
X-ray KUB (kidney ureter bladder) can be used to identify renal stones(if any), although a CT scan is more precise.

The Hemoglobin level can be increased by:
1. Hematinic supplements namely Iron, Folic acid. But they take 3 weeks to show their action
2. Blood transfusion- shows immediate effect & Hb level rises by 1 gm% for each pint of blood transfused

So, kindly consult your Family Physician & discuss regarding these matters.

Appropriate management steps will be taken based on complete history, physical examination & co-relating the findings with investigation reports.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor