Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Taking cipralex. Is it safe to get pregnant?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1677 Questions
Dear sir / madam,

I am currently in the process of stopping taking Cipralex (10 mg). I am now in my second week and taking 5mg a day. In two weeks I will take 5mg every other day. And after 2 weeks I will completely stop.

How long after I have completely stopped, is it safe to get pregnant?

Thank you!
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 55 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The medication you are on is called 'lexapro'. You are on very low doses currently, and tapering the medication is definitely the right way to get off of it.

It is actually of very little potential harm to a fetus. Based on what you are telling me, and the size of the doses you are currently taking, my answer would be to wait until you get your next normal cycle and then start trying after that. By the time you conceive, the amount in your system will be barely measurable.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor