Taking cephalexin for UTI. Does cephalexin affect the pregnancy test?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi
I am taking cephalexin for a UTI over the last few weeks.i just did 4home pregnancy tests!(3different brands) which all said I was pregnant but when I went to the doctor,he did their urinary test and it came out negative.does cephalexin interfere with home pregnancy tests? My doctor suggested home tests were made in china and useless and I couldn't trust them and the ones they have are very accurate.is this true or is there a chance I could be pregnant? I should mention I'm 2 days from my period and did the home tests 4 days before period is expected
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting query.

Cephalexin does not affect the pregnancy test. Early pregnancy test may give faint positive result and well-branded strip test gives only 97% accurate result on pregnancy test.

It is better to do a blood test for Beta-HCG to confirm or exclude pregnancy, as you are 2 days from period. You may undergo for ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen for 100% sure evidence.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Is it usual for someone to get a faint positive (false) result with different brands at the same time?what would cause this?i have done many pregnancy tests in the past and none have given me any faint XXXXXXX at all!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Thanks for follow up query.

False positive pregnancy test (strip test) depends on the sensitivity of hCG hormone, released in urine. It may vary with different brands according to quality of strip, which may be sensitive to low level of hCG. HCG value is variable with different condition like less than 5 mIU/ml in non pregnant healthy women, 5-25 mIU/ml in case of doubtful pregnancy and above 25 mIU/ml in pregnant women.

Therefore, I suggest you to do a blood test & ultrasound for surest evidence of pregnancy as mentioned above.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of yourself.

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 16 hours later
One more question-does a UTI affect the results of a home test?i read somewhere that protein or blood in urine can affect home test?i was on the last day of 10day antibiotics tho so I wouldn't expect it still to be an issue?
Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 hours later

Thanks again for follow up query.

No, UTI does not affect pregnancy test, as it depends on HCG hormone sensitivity.

However, in severe cases, when there is blood in the urine that is tested, may affect pregnancy test sometimes. In your case, it is not likely.

Antibiotics treatment also not affect pregnancy test. For confirmation of pregnancy, you can do above said test.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do not forget to give a feedback.

Wish your good health.
Dr Soumen