Taking benzos for anxiety, modafinil for type 2 diabetes. ECG done. Any serious cardiac problem?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Doctor, I am 42 years male; suffering from Generalised Anxiety Disorder & Depression since 9 years. I have been on Anti-depressants, benzos. Since 6 years i am also having type 2 diabetes. on metaformin xr 500 mg twice daily. but, may be because of anti-depressants like venlofaxine xr 75 mg/1 day, and some benzos like etizolam, i have been feeling intense fatigue, weakness, oversleepiness, lethargy sine 2 years. I was advised Modafinil 100mg/day. And iam taking modafinil 100 mg/1 day regulary since 7 months. But, since 4 months i am having chest discomfort, racing heart/fast heart beat may be 100 beats/minute. mild tingling pain in the heart continuosly. Whether this is because of modafinil? whether modafinil safe for long term use? what is its adverse effects?
But 1 month back ECG was done, and it was normal sinus rythym. Now, today 2D Echo was done. Its findings are Normal, EXCEPT - LV Diastolic Dysfunction. What is this? And physician told me to get FBS, ECG after 3 days. Mean time he advised Propronolol 10 mg - 3 times a day. Am I having any serious cardiac problem? May i use Inderol 10 mg for 3 days? Whether this will cause low B.P.? May kindly answer and advice future course of action please.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
I read your question with diligence.
Diastolic dysfunction when heart is not able to relax and resists the inflow of oxygenated blood from lungs and unoxygenated blood from veins of the body due to stiffness of its walls. It usually occurs in hypertension like conditions. If you have intermittent hypertension due to anxiety this can occur probably this is what your doctor is thinking. I would suggest to you is as it is not that serious condition, you can get your echocardiography reviewed and seek an appointment with a cardiologist. Banglore has many cardiology and specialty institutes to name to I will suggest XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Baba institute of Medical Sciences Wakefield or XXXXXXX Hridulalya Banglore. For I am concerned about your drugs you are taking for your original illness these can side effects usually not of the type of chest discomfort which you have described. No psychiatric drug is safe for life time use however, risk of taking a drug is weighed against its possible benefits. Therefore, I suggested treatment from qualified cardiologist and a second opinion from qualified psychiatrist. Meanwhile, there is absolutely no harm in taking a rather benign drug for like propranolol for 3 days.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow up: Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Dr. I am very happy by your answer. My only worry was 2D Echo finding of LV Diastolic Dysfunction. And as explained by your answer, it is NOT that much serious condition, i am relieved of my worry. As you told i am having mild Hypertention intermittently- like 140/85-90. But, some times my B.P. levels are normal, except systolic(lower number) is always 80 and above. Pulse rate is also mostly between 90-110. Still now, i was not declared as Hypertensive by the physicians. I forget to mention that in addition to Tab.Propronolol 10 mg/ 3 times a day, i was also advised to take Tab.Ecosprin(asprin delayed release) 150 mg/ 3 times a day for 3 days. Can Tab. Ecosprin 150 mg/ 3 times a day be taken? Generally I heard Ecosprin150 mg/1 day. Whether I am having Hypertension? As the learned Dr. advised I would consult a cardiologist and seek 2nd opinion from a Psychiatrist also. Whether I REQUIRE TMT, Thyroid profile? Lipid Profile, LFT, Blood urea, serum creatinine, BUN, Serum Electrolytes, FBS, CBP, Complete Urine Exam was done one and half months back and was within normal range/normal. Does 2D Echo test requires to be repeated after one or two months?
Your earlier answer was very clear, full & thourough(spelling wrong?) and satisfied me 100%. Thanks a lot. Any other suggestions/information/advice from your side, if required is highly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Well hypertension does not necessarily mean that BP will be elevated all the time even if it is elevated 3 out of 5 random readings it is still considered hypertension. Moreover echocardiogram is quite suggestive. You are right that ecospirin needs to be taken once a day 75 or 150 mg after meals that is why I have suggested that you ought to be seen by an expert. As far as other tests are concerned leave it to the physician/cardiologist to decide which tests are needed or needs repetition.
In hypertension there is no drug of choice but choice of drug if a particular cardiologist feels a particular drug is good for it so be it. Have faith in him/her and follow up at regular intervals. You need to see a psychiatrist of the same hospital/institute as usually there is coordinated management, by a cardiologist and other consultant, of a patient. I am not sure whether the drug therapy is needed. Good Luck.
There is no problem with your English, if there is any more question, I will be happy to answer.
Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover