Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Taking benadryl for latex allergy. Suggest some medicine to get cured

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 816 Questions
I have a latex allergy and either came in contact with latex or rubber or ate a cross-reactive food earlier in the week. i have been taking Benadryl tablets, 25 mg, a total of 6 over the past 24 hours (according to the label instructions) and need to know if this is not enough to stop the histamine production, can I take a higher dosage, or is it time to find a doctor and get a Kenalog shot, which has worked in the past, because I am still producing histamine.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 20 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic forum!
The Benadryl can be taken up to 300mg/day in divided doses, like 50mg 4 hourly if the condition of patient is no improving. You can't drive or operate machinery because the drug impairs judgement.
You can have tablet Dexona 2mg 8hourly for 3 days in place of the shot.
They are equally effective and do not need shot, but must be taken post meal.
Whenever you go out tell the restaurateur that you have latex allergy because the staff serving the food may be using gloves thus serving you with the allergen as well.
You need to start the treatment after consulting your gynecologist.
I hope this review resolves your doubts, if still need some help please write me back. I would try my best efforts to help you out.
Wish you a pink of health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Taking benadryl for latex allergy. Suggest some medicine to get cured 9 minutes later
Is Dexona an over the counter medicine or by prescription only
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 13 hours later
Welcome back.
In India you can get almost any drug over the counter but in USA I do not think you have that luxury. I am not sure but I think it is a prescription drug there; Still you can approach the nearest medical shop to enquire about it.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be happy to solve your further queries. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please close the discussion and put a rating for it.
Dr.Monika Choudhary
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor