Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Taking antibiotics for urinary tract infections during pregnancy. Safe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
Hello and Warm Greetings! Dear Doctor,
My wife is being suggested to go in for regular Urine Culture every 3-4 weeks. She is 35yrs of age, weighing 68KG in her 35 week of Pregnancy. In most of the urine Cultures she is diagnosed with some bacteria and is being antibiotics to treat the same. She has taken huge quantum of antibiotics and in the latest Urine Culture Report she has been diagnosed to have Enterococcus faecalis >0000 CFU/ ML and has been suggested to take MARTIFUR thrice daily for 2 weeks and then continue a maintainance dose.
In a second opinion with our family doctor she suggested not to take it and advised to take K-MAC Syrup diluted in water twice daily. After two days of taking K-MAC Syrup she developed burning sensation near the heart and sometimes stomach region.
Please advice the right medication keeping in mind her 35week Pregnancy. Please also suggest the precautions and safeguards to take for a easy and a safe delivery.
Best Regards,
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 13 hours later

I have read through the query.

Your wife is suffering from recurrent urinary tract infections.

It is essential to treat it adequately to prevent short term problems like fever, infection in kidneys and preterm labor. In the long run it can affect kidney functions.

With the presence of Enterococcous species, a syrup alone will not help. You must choose an antibiotic which will be given for 7-14 days now followed by a maintenance dose till delivery and even later, totaling about 8 weeks or more.

Martifur is avoided in the last trimester of pregnancy. It may not be ideal antibiotic at this stage.
Your doctor should look at the culture sensitivity report obtained from the microbiology and choose another drug appropriately. I would suggest to XXXXXXX an experienced physician in XXXXXXX Medicine (MD) to do justify the treatment.

I would recommend injectable antibiotic because she has received several courses of oral antibiotics based on culture report.

Hope this answers all your queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor