Taking antibiotics for infection between butt cheeks. Could sciatica be due to infection?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: I used to have an infection between my buttcheeks in the inside of my right buttcheek I used antibiotics and it popped on its own but the cut has not yet closed what should I do? No I suffer from sciatica can this be because of that infection?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Keep the area clean and dry... Detailed Answer: Hi, Sciatica has no role in wound healing process. Small wounds heal over a period of few days. However a wound that discharges and is infected heals late. If it popped more than a week ago, then perhaps it is still discharging or has residual infection that is preventing it from healing. Similarly if you are a diabetic, the healing process would be affected. I would suggest you to keep the wound clean and dry. Keep cleaning with sterilized cotton to make sure it remains dry. Apply antibiotic cream on the affected area. You need to repeat above mentioned process. But if it has been more than a week ago, I would urge you to visit the nearest surgeon who can check for other cause of delayed healing including sinus formation and presence of diabetes. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 13 minutes later
What do you mean by sterilized cotton? Would i need to repeat this process everytime i go to the restroom In the long run can this cause my nerve to swell up and cause sciatica??
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It will not cause sciatica.. Detailed Answer: Hi, Sterilised cotton is a cotton maintained at the hospital for all wound cleaning and dressing purpose. A few pharmacy store would have this cotton with them. You can buy it over the counter. If you don't find it any other clean cotton can be used for cleaning. It is important to keep the area as clean and dry. So if that means cleaning after every bowel use it would be beneficial. However if the wound hasn't healed over a week after it popped it's better to visit your doctor. And do not be worried about sciatica, this wound wouldn't harm your sciatic nerve. Hope this helps. Regards