Taking antibiotic for sinusitis. Noticed painful swelling around eye and cheek. Any thoughts?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have sinusitis and am being treated with an antibiotic. I have swelling around my eye and cheek and is very painful. I have weeping from my eye as well and slight fever. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of cellulitis, an infection involving the skin and soft tissues.

Since you have sinusitis, it is possible that the same infection has spread to the affected area.

Most likely, you would require a change of antibiotic. In some cases, intra venous (IV) antibiotics may also be required for a few days.

For pain and swelling, you may take ibuprofen or diclofenac.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 hours later
I don't have a doctor's appointment until Monday. Do you think it would be ok to wait? Also I was told that Cordicidin for HBP might help?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

It is alright to wait until Monday. Till then, you can follow the current prescription.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM