Taking antacid for bloated stomach. Any permanent cure?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi..I am 48years,five feet ten,90kgsweight..suffering from a bloated stomach whenever I intake food for the last six months..doctor has given me antacid in the morning to take and VIBACT (good bacteria) to take..it improves but worsens when I stop to take it..what shld I do ? will an endoscopy help?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 51 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Upper GI endoscopy is used to diagnose stomach diseases like peptic ulcers, mucosa inflammation, Helicobacter Pylori infection, hiatal hernia. This diseases usually gives symptoms like chest burning, upper middle abdominal pain, nausea. Bloating is a symptom more characteristics for large intestine diseases. As you are around 50 it is advisable for you to have colonoscopy performed at first. Especially if you have lost some weight recently or do suffer from constipations.
You should also have abdominal ultrasound and full blood work. If no findings in this tests, than upper GI endoscopy is advisable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.