Taking amiodarone for ventricular premature beat. Is it sake to take anticoagulants?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am an American who currently lives in Nanyang, Henan, China, where I teach English. On XXXXXXX 25 in Macau I had a heart attack. Unfortunately, i continue to have problems associated with my heart attack, even though two stents were put in my LAD soon after the myocardial infarction months ago. Last week I got out of the hospital in Nanyang where I was treated with amiodarone medicine for a ventricular premature beat. My doctor said that the medicine was proving to be successful. However, while in the hospital, an ultrasound showed that I have a clot attached to the wall of my left ventricle (LVT). My doctor wants me to visit a hospital in Beijing for a second opinion to make sure that the LVT diagnosis done in Nanyang was correct. Meanwhile, my doctor told me to continue to take my regular heart attack meds, which include ticagrelor (Brilinta). My doctor also told me me that there is not a definitive treatment for my LVT problem. Is that correct? She also said that MOST people with LVT survive for many years just taking regular heart attack meds. Is that correct? She said that surgery is typically done only in an emergency situation and as a last result. Also, I fear that maybe the ticagrelor is not working and maybe I need to try a different blood thinner. In addition, I have read that anti-coagulants are often used to treat an LVT. My doctor thinks that anti-coagulants are too strong and risky for my situation. Is that correct? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: I recommend the use of anti-coagulant... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read carefully your concern and would like to say: Yes most people with left ventricular thrombus (LVT) survive for many years just taking regular heart attack medication. But the major complication in this cases is cerebral embolism.To determine the risk of embolism the thrombus motility is evaluated. To avoid the risk of embolism (stroke) which is a complication that worsen the quality of life i strongly recommend to start anti-coagulation. Yes the anti-coagulants are risky (they can cause hemorrhage) but if the INR is kept between 2-3 the risk of hemorrhage is low. Yes the combination of tricaglor and anti coagulants are too strong but the combination isn't contraindicated. Hope it answered to your question! Dr.Benard p.s. If you have more concerns, feel free to write back to me! I'd be happy to assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Hi, I just have one question for clarification. You said that the combination of tricaglor and anti-coagulants is strong but the combination isn't contraindicated. Does that mean it's ok to combine the tricaglor that I'm taking with anti-coagulants? Thanks again, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Combination is a treatment possibility but... Detailed Answer: Hi again XXXXXXX What I'm saying is that the combination of both drugs is a treatment possibility in case with myocardial infarction and LVT. The most hazardous complications in this case is major bleeding. But to choose this possibility is a bit difficult because the doctor have to wait what we gain and what we loose. This is why your doctor is searching a second opinion. If i was your doctor i would measure all the possibilities. Hope it answered to your question! Dr.Benard p.s. If you have more concerns, feel free to write back to me! I'd be happy to assist you further.