Taking alamin xtra and evion for hair loss. Looking for more effective medicine

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: Hi
my wife, XXXXXXX has a hair loss for last 6 month and she has been taking alamin extra and evion for last 2-3 months. There is slight improvement but still we need some strong preventive medicines for it and keep it healed in a timely manner. My wife age is 28 years . Please suggest.

Some more information about XXXXXXX :
She is a house wife and we have a 3 years old daughter. she has no other history of any other illness besides some mild health issues.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
In females two types of hair fall is usually seen
1) female pattern hair fall where the hair parting widens and eventually hair fall is seen maximum in central area
2) telogen effluvium which is due to any previous chronic illness( typhoid, dengue,jaundice, any prolonged fever) surgery, stress, thyroid disorder, anaemia, any prolonged medicine intake, nutritional deficiency.
3) sometimes any scalp pathology like severe dandruff, psoriasis etc can lead to hair fall too.
I would like to know whether
She is having a diffuse hair fall or her parting has broadened or has round oval areas of hair fall
If there is any problem of excessive dandruff
Any previous illness , surgery or stressful event in last 6 months
Any known nutritional deficiency.

Answering these questions would help me in assisting you in a better way. Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 11 hours later
Thanx Doctor for asking in detail .
XXXXXXX does not have any chronic disease as mentioned in your second point. what she has , is hair fall from different areas of her head and mostly in the front . it looks to be a diffuse hair fall. Thinning of her hair can be noticed.
Dandruff is not excessive but it is still found. No surgery no previous illness. The only stressful event has been a slight loss of her valuables during a marraige event . But it is not much impacting any more.
As earlier told, she has been taking alamin extra and evion for last 2-3 months. Looking for your valuable suggestions.

regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
She is most probably having a pattern of hair fall known as telogen effluvium.

If possible she should get her serum ferritin, thyroid profile and vitamin d levels checked as these are implicated in hair fall.

To treat her hair fall, she can start with minoxidil- amenixil 2 percent solution for scalp application and a hair supplement like follihair or keraglow XXXXXXX Hair fall takes time to respond, it might take three to four months before you notice desirable response.

To treat dandruff, she might use an antifungal shampoo like scalpe lotion or nizoral shampoo every alternate days. This is required as dandruff too can aggravate hair fall.

She may stop with the supplements that she has been taking so far as these have no direct role in preventing hair fall. Ask her to take diet XXXXXXX in proteins, calcium,iron and vitamins. Taking sprouts, yogurt, milk, fruits, salads, nuts, soya nuggets, sea food, fish, liver etc would help

I would also encourage you to visit a dermatologist nearby as dermatology being a visual field, definite diagnosis can only be made after the concerned area has been properly examined. It is also in patient's interest to remain under a doctor's follow up while being on prescription medicines.
Hope that answers your query. Wishing XXXXXXX a speedy recovery!

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
Hi kalpana

I really not convinced that she has telogen effluvium . She does not have a drastic hair fall.She has no history of prolonged health issues as u mentioned in ur second point . I feel u may have misunderstood my point .
she has hair fall issue recently and what we are expecting , some health supplements that can enhance/help in having a healthy hair.

Let us know if any vitamins/protiens tablets which are good for health of hair and also some physical exercises, she can try during her work and off the work.

regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Telogen effluvium is always an acute or recent onset hair fall where you just feel that your over all hair density has reduced or your hair is simply thinning out.
If you will see my first response to your query, you will see I had mentioned stress and nutritional deficiency as the cause. So obviously to tackle her hair fall she needs supplements. But evion and alamin is not going to help her hair fall issue.

I ruled out most of the causes for hair fall and considered lack of hair supporting nutrients and stress( which is a part of day today life) as the cause for hair fall and that is why suggested tablet follihair or keraglow Eva( these are multivitamin and mineral supplements only)which is specifically meant for hair fall. These tablets contain vitamins and hair friendly minerals that we usually lack in our diet like biotin, copper selenium, zinc, manganese, iron, calcium pantothenate etc.

I asked you to stop evion as it has no role in hair growth and moreover vitamin E being a fat soluble vitamin should not be taken for prolonged period as can cause side effects and she has already taken it for three months. Similarly alamin extra is an amino acid supplement and when protein can easily be supplemented through diet there is no need to take it. Moreover again three months are enough to compensate for protein deficiency if any.

In telogen effluvium hair moves from its growing phase( anagen) to resting phase ( telogen). Minoxidil solution helps in hair growth by maintaining hair in its growth phase and that is why it is given in hair fall.

I am not the right person to suggest exercises to prevent hair fall. Only a person who is well trained in yoga can suggest the same. But yes anything that reduces stress like normal evening walks would help.

Hope I have been able to dispel your doubts. Should there be further query feel free to send it to us again.