Taking advil for headaches. Noticed swelling on lip. What is the disease?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I started having unexplained lip swelling this past October...it was quite frequent at first..but unusual 1/4 bottom lip, then 2 days later 1/4 top lip & around full circle...then went away & started again in XXXXXXX but full top lip swelling, then ok for a week then full bottom lip & today woke up with full top lip & skin under nose looked like bad botox! Can't match anything with diary have been keeping, no hives, no cankers, I do not smoke or drink, & do limit sodium, I am currently not working so not out in the cold nor around alot of people, symptoms most occur either before bed 10pm or upon waking in am...I do occasionaly take advil for headaches any suggestions on what I may be suffering from?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 59 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

After seeing the picture, it seems that you are having perioral oedema probably allergic in nature. Allergic lesions need not be related to food or hives everytime, sometimes they are spontaneous and recurrent.

Does the area itch?

Is it associated with swelling of hands and feet?

It is associated with decreased urination or excessive foamy urine.

Does anyone in your family have an allergic problem or swelling of hands, feet or mouth?

I would advise you to take an anti-allergic tablet twice daily for 5 days and apply a calamine lotion in the area thrice daily for 5 days.
If the lesions persist, you might have to undergo some blood tests for which you need to consult your physician.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have any other queries, kindly direct them to me.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 15 hours later
Thankyou for your response Dr XXXXXXX To Answer questions in your response, my lip does itch like hives upon initial onset of swelling, but no other swelling hands, feet or urinary issues or family member allergy problems. I am wondering if there's an association with chicken pox virus? Due to never having chicken pox as a child, I experienced adult head to toe chicken pox 12 yrs ago from my 1st daughter while I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter. Could my lip swelling be a form of shingles caused by chicken pox virus?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 6 hours later
No, it does not seem to be related to chicken pox or shingles. Chicken pox lesions are vesicular lesions and are very painful.

It is most likely an allergic manifestation. Kindly follow the measures I have instructed you and you should be well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad