Taking actibile for multiple stones in gallbladder. Why i am having vitilgo?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dear Sir,

i have gall multiple small stones so taking actibile 300mg for 4 months.i had white spot near right side of stomach 5 years ago
now i have got some more white spots(vitiglo) .is it to do with Actibile? can i continue with actibile to dissolve stones?
i have got fatty lever for long & B12 vitamins are less from thyrocare lab report
Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Actibile (ursodeoxycholic acid) is a safe medicine used for dissolving gall stones, especially the cholesterol-rich gall stones.

Actibile is safe for skin, and vitiligo or white spots are not due to the side effect of actibile. So, you can safely continue this medicine.

For vitiligo, you can consult a dermatologist and take the treatment advised.

Hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for the quick response.
would like know ,
is fatty lever is caused by gall stones or vice versa or due to body weight (i m over 98 kgs six feet tall,age 39). how can fatty lever be cured

how long stones will take to dissolve.can any other medicine help.i have been taking 300 mg for last 4 months.when i stop this for 1 week hard stuffs like meat ,egg make me uncomfortable
i had calcium deficiency,vitamin B12, & D so taking supplements from Doctor's prescription.

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX
0000

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

Fatty liver and gall stones may occur due to high cholesterol, and there may not be any direct correlation between the two in your case.

Grade 1 fatty liver is harmless and there is no need of any treatment. For higher grades of fatty liver, the inciting factors such as diabetes, high cholesterol, alocohol intake, etc needs to be controlled, and no specific medicines are required.

For stones to dissolve, six to nine months treatment may be required. In some cases, surgery may also be required to remove the gall bladder, if medical therapy fails.

Please continue the medications, as per the doctor's prescription.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM