Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Taking Tribet 1 for diabetes and also taking Nebicard for BP. Tribet is not available. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
I am taking Tribet 1 for last 2 years for diabetic morning 7 evening. my value of suger is 100 PP & 130 after food. also taking Nebicard 5 for BP for last 5 years. BP value 135.
Now Tribet 1 is not available in mkt, please advice new medicin
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Tribet is three in one drug. There are three active oral hypoglycemic drugs - glimepride, metformin and pioglitazone.

Recently there have been some recent negative reports about pioglitazone. Hence many countries including India have banned this drug. Perhaps this may be the reason why you are unable to obtain Tribet 1mg.

Since your sugars are well controlled, perhaps you may try drugs containing only glimepride and metformin. Amaryl M, Gluconorm, Glyciphage, Gemer and Glycomet are few well known brands containing those 2 drugs. The dose of the new drug can be altered as per your subsequent sugar levels. Discuss with your doctor to redirect your treatment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Taking Tribet 1 for diabetes and also taking Nebicard for BP. Tribet is not available. Suggest? 4 hours later

Thanks for you comments, could you suggest me a name of medicine which I can take immediately as I am out of station and cannot consult a doctor immediately but can in next week.

Request you to name the medicine today only. I was taking Glycomet but unable to control the sugar level earlier then doctor recommend Tribet 1.


You may also contact me oj phone no. if mail not possible.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 minutes later

The danger behind oral hypoglycemic drugs is the chances of hypoglycemia. As a physician we are more worried about patients developing low sugar than uncontrolled sugars. If you have no means to contact your treating doctor (even by a phone call) and have no access to healthcare at your current location, the best suggestion would be to take your previous medication - Glycomet.

Watch out for dizziness, sweating, blurring of vision and feeling of impending doom. Keep a XXXXXXX of sugar/chocolate with you always.

You can XXXXXXX your treating doctor with blood sugar levels and continue the rest of medications.

Hope this information helps you in this desperate time. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor