Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Taking TB medicines such as R-cinex. Stopped due to itching. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir Kumar


Practicing since :1994

Answered : 5771 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have been asked to take tuberculosis medicine as my gynecologist suspect it...However all my tests are negative...the clinical symptoms which according to her are indicators of TB are: tiredness, sleepy, weight loss, loss of appetite, not able to conceive despite proper ovulation, poor endometrium quality (though the thickness is fine). I am prescribed the following medicines...
R-cinex (empty stomach)
P-Zide 500 (Pyrazinamide) 1 Morning and 1 night after fod
B-Long (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 1 afternoon
Mycobutol 600 1 afternoon
I started taking and took them for 3 days but than had to stop due to sever itching. i took three days gap and restarted with Mycobutol 600 and getting the itching back...what should i do? Should I go for some more test and reevaluate whether to take tuberculosis medicine ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see a dermatologist/physician

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

Your doctor is correct in prescribing tuberculosis medicines, as in a person with endometrial thickening/irregularity and infertility, TB can be presumed to be the cause, though a definite proof of TB is lacking. So, empirical anti-TB treatment is commonly started in situations such as yours.

The itching and rash is suggestive of hypersensitivity or allergy to anti-TB medications, which is quite common. The main issue here is to find out which of the four anti-TB drugs (isoniazid, rifampin, ethambutol, pyrazinamide) you are allergic to, as you are on these four drugs. This can be found out by a drug challenge test, which can be done under the supervision of a dermatologist or general physician (with MD medicine degree),

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Rifampin

doctor1 MD

hello I have anosmia which started shortly during my treatment for latent extra-pulminary TB. The Tb was not diagnosed by biopsey, but through CT scan. The drugs that I was on for Tb treatment were RifampinPyrazinamide.Ethambutol The treatment was for 6 month duration and is now finished. Are you able to explain why I have anosmia and I wake up at night with a cough, have difficulty sleeping and get night sweats.

doctor1 MD

Why would a doctor change a prescription from Xifaxin to Rifampin when it was prescribed for hapatic liver desease. Rifampin shows it can cause liver desease. We waant to help it not cause more!

doctor1 MD

My daughter is on 500 mg iv vancomycin 3x daily. She has been on it 4 weeks today. I've noticed changes in her moods. She's very emotional and over reacts about almost everything. She cries and gets very upset about almost any question or...

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed as having an infection of Brusella Bacteria. Two medicines were prescribed, doxycycline mono 100 mg and rifampin 300 mg . Each to be taken twice a day for 6 weeks. My question is, are these the best medicines for that and is there...

doctor1 MD

64 year old white male 160 pounds 5 11 in general good health working full time. BP high normal but no medications Taking eye drops for mild glaucoma No known allergies Body itch present for over 1 year treated with 0.1% betamethazone. Nighttime cramping in right leg Increasing memory loss Sore palms for 6-8 weeks required icepacks in the middle of the night for relief Biopsy of painful palms was leuckocyteclastic vasculitis in addition to right floppy foot over 5 month period. other investigations mri brain ....on the FLAIR images a small area of increased signal intesity in the subcortical white matter of the left frontal lobe otherwise NAD Blood and urine tests normal CAT scan of lungs revealed presence of 30 yr old calcified TB leison presently being treated with 4 month course of rifampin No definitive Dx to date Will foot return to normal?

doctor1 MD

Hello There My girlfriend uses Litmon, Indreal, Folic acid , Topamax , clonazpam, rifampin, fluconazol as her psychiatric has suggested. My question is that, is there a chance which these tablets has made her pregnancy test positive? I mean do they have anything to do with b- HCG hormone?? She has used a home pregnancy test . Thanks

doctor1 MD

hi! i'm mehjabeen nadeem

i am 5 mnths pregnent ,i had been diagnosed with tuberculosis after concieving and taking antitubercular drug (rifampin ,isoniazide and ethambutol along general pregnency medicines. i just wanted to confirm that are these antitubercular drugs safe during pregnency, they won't harm my baby?