Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

147 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Taking Requip for restless legs syndrome. Have lymphatic edema and peripheral neuropathy. Can I take sinemet?

Answered by
Dr. David Okia

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 301 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a 67 male and have RLS, and have been on Requip for 8 years. Started at .25 mg 2x day, now at 3 mg 3x day. My doctor is reducing the Requip, and switching me over Sinemet, which is Levodopa/Carbidopa. It will take a week to make the switch. I also have Lymphatic Edema and Peripheral Neuropathy for the past 8 years. Do you agree with my doctor's switching my medication, and are my symptoms all interrelated ? I belief a lot of this is being caused by the meds I am taking ( Bumex - 1-2 mg a day, Chlorthlidone -25 a day, Naproxen- 500 mg 2x a day, Ambien 5 mg a day and Potassium Chloride 10 MEQ 2x a day. My email is : YYYY@YYYY . Waiting for your answer.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes i agree with doctor switching

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your question.

Requip and sinement have the same mechanism of action.
Requip is definitely very effective for management of RLS however based on my experience its expensive compared to sinemet. Most of my patients tend to experience less side effects or tolerate sinement better than Requip. I would agree with doctor switching.
Yes the symptoms are interrelated.

Hope i answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have other queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Beta-lactam

doctor1 MD

I have been noticing blood spots on my underware on and off for several years. I went to a uralogist and he ordered ct and did a cystoscopic exam and it showed an enlarged medium lobe of my prostste. My psa is 1.3 He put me on avodart 0.5mg anduroxatral 10mg. I have been taking the drugs for about 6 months.Last night I noticed blood spots on my underware of a somewhat larger pattern. should I be overly concerned ?

doctor1 MD

I am 65 I had a Prostate Operation about three years ago,
I am on Dutasteride Avodart, one 5mg caps daily, and Betahistine Dihydrochloride tabs 16mg one three times a day. Is it safe for me to take Viapro (Herbal Viagra) while taking the above medication?

doctor1 MD

my name is Peter Moore 5 years ago i had a accident that slightly damaged my spine its healed ok without surgery how ever i have been suffering from a erection problem since i have been taking viagra and cialis which helps but sadly i do not get a hard erection as i would wish, i am 60 fit and active and in a new relationship

doctor1 MD

Dr. Oz, I know you're show is geared mostly towards women but I really am in dyer need of help. I'm a 22 year old male and I'm currently taking two 20mg instant release Adderalls a day. My blood pressure is normal on a daily basis, but high blood pressure and heart disease does run in my family. My concern is in regards to Erectile Disfunction. It is a real self confidence killer! My penis doesn't get fully erect when I'm about to have sex, its hard but not where it can stay up the air hard..excuse the reference. Also some other times it will get hard, but it will not stay that way for long amounts of time. Does anyone know why this could be? I also have trouble staying hard. For example if it slips out, there is a switch of positions,or the slightest distraction, it wont remain hard. I take adderall but don't notice a difference in this when I take it and when I don't. I exercise regularly (4-5x a week) and eat relatively healthy(for a college student). I am stressed a lot and i know that could be a cause of my problems. but does anyone have any ideas? Also is it to early for someone my age (22) to take pills such as viagra or cialis? What are the long term side effects?

doctor1 MD

If I took to many alprozlam could it kill me?

doctor1 MD

pristiq desvenlafaxine 100 mg and sandomigran 500 mcg what side effects can there be

doctor1 MD

Can halcion after long term use cause temporary lack of coordination and dizziness? I take .5mg per night.Never had these reactions before.