Taking Novomix for diabetes. reason for the high creatinine level?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Question: Hi,
My Dad is diabetic for the last 25 years and his age is 74 currently. His taking Novomix 30 pen, 10 units in the morning and 6 in the evening. His blood suger is now under control (fasting 96 / Post meal 139). During his recent blood test his Cerum Creatinine level shot up to 4.16. His is also takes Cardace AM(5) and Echosprin Gold 10. He also had a couple instances of TIA in the past.
Question is why his Creatinine is went so high. It has always been 2.5 - 3.2 in the past. What should be the suggested course of action.

Thanks,
-XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

The reasons for worsening of creatinine of a person with Diabetic nephropathy are many like body exertion, bad dehydration, very high blood glucose level, very high BP,blood supply disturbance to the kidneys, body stress like fever or fractures or any other infections, good Nephrologist to see if the creatinine can be reversed back to stable levels of less than 3 by identifying and treating the reasons.
Please make sure his Tab Cardace is stopped till he sees the Nephrologist as it can further worsen the creatinine. Continue Amlodipine 5 mg one in the morning and one in the evening till that.
The suggested course of action will be decided by the Nephrologist only as he/she will evaluate the cause for acute rise in creatinine, check for the electrolyte imbalance if any, check his heart condition and then depending on the causative factor and his other general condition he/she will decide the course of action.
Consistently high creatinine above 5 has to be treated with dialysis or if possible by kidney donation to the patient.
So taking him to the Nephrologist and keeping track of Serum creatinine and serum potassium and ECG are the things to be done on priority basis.
Sometimes a patient with worsening kidney disease experiences hypoglycemia (lowering of blood sugar) frequently and in that case your father will need less doses of insulin divided into frequent pricks (3 or 4 instead of two). So be prepared for this option when your doctor suggests to do so.
Please get back for any related query. take care.